Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Adventure in A New Home

North Philadelphia is a big change from the quaint country feel of Mohnton, Pennsylvania -- to say the least. The past few weeks I have had a blast discovering what the great city of Brotherly Love has to offer. While North Philadelphia is not known for it's breathtakingly beautiful sights, it still has a lot to offer to an art student craving something new and opposite her quiet little town. A day's adventure is just a subway ride away. With new found friends, I have travelled to:

-- Center City for a chance to see the big city buildings, and catch a prime people watching spot on the grass in Rittenhouse Square
-- "The Linc" for an exciting football experience, even for those who literally don't care about football
-- South Street to eat some delicious frozen yogurt

On the way to Center City I saw a little boy sleeping in his dad's lap, who also was succumbing to sleep. Unfortunately I was unable to sneakily get a decent photo of the two, from a combination of fear of creeping them out and the commotion of the subway's route. Once actually there I saw City Hall, located the Blick Art Supply Store that my mom had been bugging me to find, and lounged in the grass as I watched various breeds of a dogs pass by. It was just like 101 Dalmatians, a quiet afternoon in the park where dogs can go to meet and people come to relax. I saw a tiny French Bulldog puppy and just about melted.
The Temple football game was a thing to see. After wolfing down a cheesesteak and  fries, I mistakenly observed the game from the Villanova side of the stadium. More emotion was evoked by observing the people around me, rather than the actual game. Let's just get it out there, I hate football.
South Street informed me of what gourmet frozen yogurt is and that there are far too many varieties of condoms. Not at the same time, but Phelio Yogurt and Condom Kingdom are just a beat apart.


Everything is so diverse. So many different foods to try, different people to meet, and stories to hear. There are truly cultures colliding in Philadelphia, and it's beautiful. Then there is the occasional piece of weave on the sidewalk, not quite as lovely, but still easily manages to instill wonder of what it's story is. I   look forward to spending my time in and around Temple discovering what this city has to offer to me and all people I am lucky enough to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment