Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Doug Bucci Freshman Lecture October 5th

Doug Bucci is a metalwork and jewelry professor. Many of his works are related to Diabetes and the visual elements of that. He started his presentation off by stating that he went into his undergraduate career as a father, which only proved to drive him to succeed.  He stated that the faculty that were in his life are his heroes, and they're in his mind still every time he creates something. I found this to be an interesting fact, and it is easily applied. I think of all my different Foundations Classes and the artists who teach them, they all have different, constructive things that say to me about my work and those comments are sure to stick around.

Doug stated that being unsure of what you're doing and uncomfortable in the environment  is key, because that is where you are learning the most. The applies to my life directly, and is definitely something to think about. All art besides capturing moments through my viewfinder is new to me, and it's comforting to think that this uncertainty is a positive aspect rather than a setback. It leaves room to learn entirely, rather than shut out a project or professor's lecture because "I did this in high school." I glad to start fresh, and Doug's words made me feel much more content about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment