Sunday, October 24, 2010

H. John Thompson Lecture October 19

H. John Thompson's lecture was not one that really intrigued me. He told us how his studio is in the basement of his grandfather's bakery, which I am willing to admit is pretty precious and a little detail that makes me happy. I love the idea of keeping your family involved with your work, and bringing where you came from into your career. The work however that John did show us didn't appeal to me. But he did make some good points that a group of worn out art students could stand to keep in mind. The one thing that he spoke about though that remains prominent in my mind though is that a studio is where you can be yourself. No matter what, that is your space and people aren't going to judge your decisions so go for it. John also spoke about how he photographs his entire process, just so he can refer back to and explain where each piece came from/what he was thinking while he did it. John concluded with the importance of just continuing to work. How you may find yourself in a creative rut but it's important to just keep moving and exercising your artistic mind and skills. This is something I'm going to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment